Tuesday 27 October 2015

Introduction - Welcome to my blog! (repost)

I very stupidly deleted my first blog post (by accident), so unfortunately this is just going to be a repost of it - although I didn't save the most up-to-date version so this may vary slightly. I also lost some of the reference links but will hopefully be able to find them soon. Thank you to everyone that commented on the original!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi everyone! Welcome to my blog! The content of my blog will be regarding anthropogenic climate/land-use change and whether this may affect future frequency and intensity of natural hazards. Before I address future anthropogenic concerns, I will first look at some relevant theory on natural hazards. Natural hazards are naturally occurring events that range in form and magnitude. They include:

  • Geophysical - earthquakes, mass movement, cyclonic storms, volcanic eruptions, and tsunamis;
  •  Biological - disease and infestations; 
  • Others, such as floods, drought and wildfires. 


A common misconception is to equate natural hazards and natural disasters as one in the same, and to use these terms interchangeably. However, in order for a natural hazard to turn into a disaster, a number of other factors are involved (although in reality it is not this clean-cut):

Turning a hazard into a disaster. Source: Geology for Global Development

A natural disaster is a hazard that directly or indirectly affects a human population. In order to minimize the effects of a disaster, it must occur far from a community (limit exposure) or the community must have the capacity to prepare, absorb and recover (limit vulnerability). Due to new global population pressures, more people are being pushed into hazard-risk areas, with poorly made informal settlements increasing the vulnerability of these communities to disaster (Huppert and Sparks, 2006). In resource-rich countries such as Japan and the USA, specially made ‘hazard-proof’ structures ensure that governments are able to mitigate damages from a hazard. This is particularly important when considering that over 95% of all deaths from earthquakes result from building collapse (Anderson, 1985).

Engineered 'earthquake-proof' building. Source: web-japan.org 


So, how does anthropogenic change affect frequency and intensity of natural hazards? I argue on this blog that anthropogenic change in both land-use and climate (fueled primarily by GHG emissions) will change many natural hazards into natural disasters. I will also look at whether these disasters will affect different demographic groups disproportionately; whether gender, age, race or income would make a person more at risk. By using a predominantly feminist lens, I aim to dissect and critique much of the theory surrounding the Anthropocene and natural hazards.

I realise I am taking a somewhat ‘Malthusian’ point of view to this topic, and there may be room for technological advancements to limit the effects of hazards to such an extent - although currently they vary in success. In my next post I will be looking at the region of Ladakh, India, to examine how the intensity of earthquakes, floods and mass movement has changed in recent years. In this region, is there such a chance for these technological advancements to limit risk? Read my next post to find out!

1 comment:

  1. Great first post - although I was reading the first version, refreshed my feed, and it had disappeared! The only link you have lost I think is the one to "female" hurricanes resulting in higher death tolls. Don't bother putting it back - that PNAS study has been widely criticised - eg see here http://io9.com/no-female-hurricanes-are-not-deadlier-than-male-hurric-1585563258

    ReplyDelete